Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Patsy's Things

Hey buckaroos! I've got a special treat for you today. Would you like to peek into Patsy Cline's jewelry box?

Now I wish that I could say that I found these items while rambling about in my attic but sadly, I had to photograph them through dimly lit plexiglass for you at Willie Nelson's museum. More on the museum coming up later in the week but here's a quick peek at their Patsy display. What fascinated me most was her jewelry box and the contents donated with:





Love these dice earrings




And the little horseshoes



These cute little wagons didn't appear to be jewelry - maybe just little trinkets? And I'm not sure if the guns and holsters are brooches or maybe diaper pins. I've seen vintage diaper pins just like these before. The exhibit wasn't labeled very well so it's anyone's guess...


Here's Patsy and Charlie on their wedding day:



And here you can see the whole display including her gold jacket and beautiful gown:




And I love these two shots of her:




This photo is said to be one of the last ever taken of her on the night that she died.


These items were donated by Patsy's husband, Charlie. On a related note (and talk about dream finds) did you know that Marty Stuart once found Patsy's makeup case at an antique store in the eighties? He got it for a mere seventy five dollars! You can read about it here. It was in a local exhibition recently and I missed seeing it by one day. I got my dates mixed up and by the time I got there, it was gone. I was so sad!

Hey, maybe Marty will invite me over to see it one day. With how odd this year has been, one just never knows. If he does, I'll be sure and get photos for you!

Until next time,
x's and o's,
Eartha

15 comments:

Barbara said...

Cool exhibit! I do find it a bit morbid, though, when they put things like the "death watch" in with the other stuff...

DearHelenHartman said...

I am totally aching to make myself some dice earrings now. The photo of her in the black dress is my favorite.

Dakota said...

Oooh, Patsy bling! The dice and horseshoe earrings are really wonderful, as is the fact she had those "howdy pardner" conestogas kicking around in her jewelry box. And how I love those candid pictures of her; she was such a knockout. The watch gave me chills, though, yikes!

Georgie Horn said...

Marty Stuart lives just up the street her in H'ville. Come have breakfast at Mallards Rest. and you'll probably see him there. Invite yourself over!

art deco dame said...

Oh want it all!

SUZY8-TRACK said...

Great photos! I've always loved Patsy Cline and now I love her even more because of those groovy dice earrings!

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

What an interesting idea, now I want to peek into all kinds of celebrity jewellery boxes. But guns on your baby's bum? Seriously? Mind you probably the only reason it hasn't caught on here is cos everyone uses Pampers...

Laura said...

Wow! We love Patsy Cline! We love those old photos of her. She was a beauty :)

InkyW said...

oh thank you so much for this post! Shiny things and Patsy Cline - it really can't get much better than that!

Eartha Kitsch said...

Barbara: I think so too. I decided to remove that photo.

DearHelenHartman: Ooh! You should!

Dakota: Me too! I decided to remove that photo to make things lighter. I love her Western touches the most.

Georgie: Oh my gosh! Maybe I should!

art deco dame: Me too! :)

Suzy8-Track: I know. She had mad taste!

Lakota: Ha! I guess it's supposed to look like the baby is a little outlaw, ready for a shoot-em-up.

VintageBettys: She really was. I wish that she could still be here with us. I'm sure she'd still be just as beautiful.

Shrinky Inky: Ha! I agree! And I like your new blue hair1

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

oh wow that is so cool! we went to the wax museum next to the willie nelson museum once (i think it got ruined in the flood) because we thought there wouldn't be much in the willie nelson and friends place we would like. looks like i was wrong!

Eartha Kitsch said...

Yeah, it is closed due to the flood. :( SO sad! It was a great place.

I highly recommend both the Willie museum and Cooter's. Good stuff.

Sara In AZ said...

Just think, maybe some of that jewelry was in your very house back in the day. Those horseshoes are really fantastic! Gosh, she really was gorgeous wasn't she.

Betty Crafter said...

*drool*
I want Patsy's jewelry.
And the idea of gun and holster diaper pins is totally making me giggle.

Beta Mike said...

I love the little holsters! That is a pretty spiffy exhibit. There's something about looking at an object that someone you respect and love so much cared for every day. I agree there's a bit of voyeurism to it, but their spirit is so ethereal, you almost have to cling to their objects.

Plus, you gotta admire her style and class! Wowza! I'm sorry you missed the auction by a smidge. At least we can pretend it's yours and you had the heart to loan it to good ol' Willie.